Sabado, Agosto 13, 2011

PINOY ZINESTER'S


INTERVIEW w/ JOAB OF REAL TIGHT CREW ZINE (AUG 2011)

1.  Can you pls introduce yourself and can you tell the readers something about your zine?

- I am Joab and I am behind Real Tight Crew with the help of my friend Archi. I started making zines way back in 1997. The first one I made was called Infinite. It only lasted for one issue and was poorly distributed. But I got the chance to feature our very own legendary hardcore punk band BIOFEEDBACK. Then next was Noise Refuge. It only lasted for two issues again with poor distribution and I’ve featured Sampcore pioneer Swedish raw punk band LIE DETECTOR. I’ve lost all the master copies for these old zines hence the birth of Real Tight Crew  which for me is the most organize fanzine I’ve ever done in my entire fanzine making career. Real Tight Crew is about our local hardcore punk scene. When I was gathering stuffs to put in issue one I said to myself I am going to concentrate more in our local bands that I like. Not necessarily innovative but those who really grabs the DIY aspect of our scene, good music to boot and lyrics that are challenging. Not only bands but opinions of selected individuals whom I know can give worthy article that can be really interesting. The first and second issue of RTC has a column section which is really great. I know hardcore punk is international but I just want to support more our local scene to prove that we can really do it ourselves. Well in issue one and four there are foreign features but it is only minimal compare to the coverage I’ve done for our local scene and I am really proud of it.


2. What influenced / inspire you to make your own zine?

- My uncle inspired me to make my own zine as he was also doing his own at that time. He taught me all the things like how to make a flyer for my zine, how to write a letter to bands that I like to feature, the layout and we’re talking about typewriter, glue, cutter and pentel pen. This is my ticket to enter the world of hardcore punk because I don’t know how to play any instruments. But I know I have an ability to write and I have an ambition to become a writer. I used fanzine making to broaden that capability. I don’t consider myself a prolific writer I don’t know if I have a right grammar. But I think it is coherent to understand what I am trying to convey. And that is liberating in fanzine there are no rules all you have to do is to make it spontaneous. Obviously the inspiration comes from our local scene and my never ending love for bands like Feud, Disabuse and Biofeedback. Also it comes from observation in my surrounding that had an impact to me, and opinions of other people in hardcore punk.

3. Zine's that influence you?

- I’ll start from the old ones ANTI, KEEP DA FAITH, STEP FORWARD, GET IN TOUCH and CONSPIRACY. The new ones are I REMEMBER HALLOWEEN, INCIDENTAL AFTERTHOUGHT, BREAKFAST INSOMNIA, KONSPIRA ZINE, ASPIRE and BELIEVE. For the foreign ones I am heavily into HEARTATTACK, INSIDE FRONT and SLUG & LETTUCE all are defunct now. Of course MRR is always there. I always wanted to follow the format of HEARTATTACK with massive columns to read unfortunately I can’t do it in RTC because people in our local scene don’t have the time to write anymore and I can’t blame them given the situation we have here in our country.


4, How many issues have you release so far? Any future release?

- I have four issues under my belt and I am happy for it given the history of my career in fanzine making. I am currently working now on my fifth issue also with coverage for three active zinesters we have in our local scene and they are I Remember Halloween, Incidental Afterthought and Konspira Zine. The makers of these zines had done a great job to keep print zines alive and to feature them in Real Tight Crew is my support for their passion.

5, what can you say about our local zine scene today?

- It is minimal compared during the 90’s and it is in a good way. There were a lot of shitty zines that exist during that time who just wanted to get free stuffs from the mail. Not unlike now even if it’s in small scale but the passion and enthusiasm is huge and for me that is priceless. Take for example Incidental Afterthought who manages to release 14 issues and that is really an achievement.

6. your goal?

-The finite lifespan of local zines are only up to two issues so my goal for Real Tight Crew is to release ten worthy issues.  After finishing my tenth issue let’s see from there if I will continue this. I don’t want to say I am here to make zines for life that would be shallow and most of the time who says “for life” they are the ones who are prone to failure.  I mean I was on the verge of quitting I had a hard time putting out the second issue. Thanks to my friend Archi who kicked my ass to get me moving and stopped me from whining a lot. By the time I released the second I was unstoppable and I am happy for it. The other goal is to promote camaraderie within the confines of our small scene. And how will I do that? It’s easy let’s forget about politics and let’s start by just having fun. Fun meaning drinking beer, taking drugs or choosing a sober existence and drinking ice tea while having a chat marathon with your real friends.  Attend a gig enjoy the band you like if you don’t like the band then just go out not by talking shit behind their back. And I much prefer trade it’s more friendly.

7. shouts / hate's/ email / website

-Thanks man for giving me space in your zine. I really appreciate it. Mad props to Archi, Joseph, Dane and Jep. Also to Banjo. Be sure to grab a copy of new Dispatches that will be out real soon you will not get disappointed I assure you. I am still looking for writers to contribute in my column section. Beware I am strict on deadlines I am in a way a control freak. Drop me a line or two in my email: mistakenfiction@yahoo.com  or visit my blog: www.anylastword.blogspot.com. Peace out from here on in.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento